3 For by the grace given to me I say to everyone among you not to think of himself more highly than he ought to think, but to think with sober judgment, each according to the measure of faith that God has assigned. 4 For as in one body we have many members,[a] and the members do not all have the same function, 5 so we, though many, are one body in Christ, and individually members one of another.
And also 1 Corinthians 12:18-20 (NIV):
So, because my family has not been attending Sunday morning services* during the summer, we are definitely feeling the drain of not spending time with other Christians to talk about our experiences and what God is doing in our lives.
The author of Hebrews talks about this here:
23 Let us hold unswervingly to the hope we profess, for he who promised is faithful. 24 And let us consider how we may spur one another on toward love and good deeds, 25 not giving up meeting together, as some are in the habit of doing, but encouraging one another—and all the more as you see the Day approaching.
There have definitely been pros and cons associated with not meeting with other Christians.
The cons are, as Hebrews says, missing out on the encouragement that comes from hearing what others are doing in their relationship with God, learning what God is doing through them, and sharing struggles and victories.
The pros are finding out exactly where you are with God. Not going to a Sunday morning service removes that clearly defined minimum threshold that so many Christians feel they must meet, and that often serves as an enabling excuse for the balance of their relationship with God being poor. Not going to a Sunday morning service removes the ability to say "well, I didn't get to read my Bible at all this week or spend any time alone with God in prayer, but at least I made it to church!".
Not going to a Sunday morning really shows where your relationship with God is at. If no one will ask you, how much would you read the Bible? If no one will be curious, how often will you spend time with God in prayer?
This was slightly terrifying at first, but after getting a little bit more real with God than I had been previously, it was immensely uplifting in a way that only words cannot describe.
In considering the experience in whole, I want to offer up the following Psalm (91):
1 Whoever dwells in the shelter of the Most High
will rest in the shadow of the Almighty.[a]
2 I will say of the Lord, “He is my refuge and my fortress,
my God, in whom I trust.”
will rest in the shadow of the Almighty.[a]
2 I will say of the Lord, “He is my refuge and my fortress,
my God, in whom I trust.”
3 Surely he will save you
from the fowler’s snare
and from the deadly pestilence.
4 He will cover you with his feathers,
and under his wings you will find refuge;
his faithfulness will be your shield and rampart.
5 You will not fear the terror of night,
nor the arrow that flies by day,
6 nor the pestilence that stalks in the darkness,
nor the plague that destroys at midday.
7 A thousand may fall at your side,
ten thousand at your right hand,
but it will not come near you.
8 You will only observe with your eyes
and see the punishment of the wicked.
from the fowler’s snare
and from the deadly pestilence.
4 He will cover you with his feathers,
and under his wings you will find refuge;
his faithfulness will be your shield and rampart.
5 You will not fear the terror of night,
nor the arrow that flies by day,
6 nor the pestilence that stalks in the darkness,
nor the plague that destroys at midday.
7 A thousand may fall at your side,
ten thousand at your right hand,
but it will not come near you.
8 You will only observe with your eyes
and see the punishment of the wicked.
9 If you say, “The Lord is my refuge,”
and you make the Most High your dwelling,
10 no harm will overtake you,
no disaster will come near your tent.
11 For he will command his angels concerning you
to guard you in all your ways;
12 they will lift you up in their hands,
so that you will not strike your foot against a stone.
13 You will tread on the lion and the cobra;
you will trample the great lion and the serpent.
and you make the Most High your dwelling,
10 no harm will overtake you,
no disaster will come near your tent.
11 For he will command his angels concerning you
to guard you in all your ways;
12 they will lift you up in their hands,
so that you will not strike your foot against a stone.
13 You will tread on the lion and the cobra;
you will trample the great lion and the serpent.
14 “Because he[b] loves me,” says the Lord, “I will rescue him;
I will protect him, for he acknowledges my name.
15 He will call on me, and I will answer him;
I will be with him in trouble,
I will deliver him and honor him.
16 With long life I will satisfy him
and show him my salvation.”
I will protect him, for he acknowledges my name.
15 He will call on me, and I will answer him;
I will be with him in trouble,
I will deliver him and honor him.
16 With long life I will satisfy him
and show him my salvation.”
*To clarify, most Christians will say that the individual people, corporately, make up the body (church) of God. However, they will also often unflinchingly say that if you don't go to a Sunday morning service, than you don't "go to church".

No comments:
Post a Comment